3 Fun Things to Do for an Unforgettable Alaska Adventure
With so many opportunities to view pristine nature and wild animals, you may not know where to start when planning Alaska adventures and excursions on your Alaskan cruise. For adventure enthusiasts, Alaska is the perfect destination for combining outdoor activities focused on thrill seeking while taking in all the natural wonders for which Alaska is famous.
If you crave an adrenaline rush during your visit, try one of these fun things to do in Alaska that combine the region's natural beauty with unforgettable Alaska adventures!
Helicopter Glacier Tours
To truly get an appreciation of scale in Alaska, there is no activity better than taking a helicopter ride over the sprawling forests and glaciers. This Alaskan adventure may be adventurous enough for most, but to add another layer of fun, many of these helicopter rides actually allow you to land on a glacier to receive an up-close-and-personal tour of one of nature's largest wonders.
- The Glacier Discovery by Helicopter in Skagway offers the opportunity to walk on either the Chilkat, Ferebee, or Meade Glacier (chosen based on weather conditions). On your way to one of these scenic spots, a 20-minute helicopter ride will give you stellar views of the nature surrounding Skagway.
- The Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter in Juneau is the ultimate excursion for those who want to experience the best of Alaska in one outing. After arriving at the Norris Glacier, you'll meet former Iditarod mushers and learn about Alaska's official state sport — before trying your hand at driving a team of these incredible dogs!
The unspoiled rivers and lakes of Alaska are the life source of its thriving ecosystem. For those who wish to see Alaska from a different perspective, a kayaking trip on its waters is one of the best ways to take it all in. Your blood may not get pumping quite as hard here, but an afternoon out on the water is a great activity for those who love a little adventure in the great outdoors.
- The Gold Rush-focused Glacier Lake Kayak, Scenic Rail & Klondike Summit in Skagway includes a historic sightseeing transfer in a vintage railcar that is over 100 years old, and a kayaking trip on Bernard Lake, where you'll learn more about the mining activities of long ago.
- Eagle Islands Sea Kayaking in Ketchikan is an exploration of Tongass National Forest that features wildlife viewing opportunities for bald eagles, salmon, starfish, and sea urchins.
There is no Alaska adventure that compares to the experience of zipping down a steel cable at high speeds with beautiful nature all around you. Ziplining is a great activity for those who want an aerial view of nature while being right in the middle of it all. With many long runs and connecting platforms often exceeding 100 feet in height, you'll have plenty of opportunities to see Alaska's nature while your heart is pounding.
- The Grizzly Falls Ziplining Expedition in Skagway features 11 ziplines and four suspension bridges. This ziplining circuit offers views of glacier-fed waterfalls and the opportunity to hit speeds up to 45 mph on "The Big Kahuna."
- The Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition in Ketchikan was voted "Shore Excursion of the Season" for this port and offers several ziplining runs, including the 850-foot "Ben's Revenge."
- The Alpine Zipline & Mendenhall Glacier Adventure in Juneau is perfect for ziplining beginners, as this course is completely automated with no hand-braking required. After the zipline tour is finished, you will be taken to the beautiful Mendenhall Glacier for an hour-long exploration of this natural wonder.
Ready for an Alaskan adventure? Book your Alaskan cruise today!