FAQ: What to Pack for a Cruise
Items you may need to pack to make your time with Princess the best vacation ever!
Click on a topic headline to view detailed information relating to your selection.
You should dress for a cruise with Princess the same way you would for any stylish land-based resort.
Casual sportswear, including shorts, lightweight pants, sundresses, will keep you feeling fresh and looking your best while at sea and ashore in hotter climates.
We recommend you bring a sweater, a jacket or an all-weather coat for cool evenings, and for shore excursions, depending on your destination. Due to unpredictable weather, don't forget a hat or visor and a collapsible umbrella. Please be sure to bring proper clothing for visits to religious sites. You'll also want low-heeled, rubbersoled shoes for strolling on deck, as well as comfortable walking shoes or sandals to wear.
Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining on board our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.
Guest attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.
- Skirts/dresses, trousers, blouses, and sweaters for women
- Pants and collared shirts for men
Pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not welcomed in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.
When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.
- Evening attire or cocktail dresses for women
- Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men
|Length of Cruise||Number of Formal Evenings||Number of Smart Casual Evenings|
|29+ Days||5 minimum||24+|
Follow these important luggage reminders:
- Essential medicines, travel documents, valuables and breakables should be hand carried in your possession at all times.
- Many domestic airline carriers now impose excess baggage fees for one or more bags and bags weighing over 50 lbs., so check with your carrier regarding weight restrictions.
- Princess will make every effort to assist you in safeguarding your belongings. But remember, you are responsible for your things at all times. Princess is not responsible for money, jewelry, cameras, binoculars, documents or any other articles you retain in your personal control.
- All luggage should have a sturdy personal identification tag that will not be lost or damaged in the course of typical airport and trucked luggage handling.
- On journeys including air travel, luggage will be subject to a considerable amount of handling and we would recommend that your luggage be of sturdy construction.
- Princess recommends that your travel protection is adequate enough to cover any possible loss or damage which may occur. Any loss or damage caused by Princess or an airline must be reported immediately to the responsible party.
In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least 2 weeks beyond the length of the cruise. Also bring a list of the names, strengths and dosages of all medications in case refills are required.
As provided in the Passage Contract, guests agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind on board for consumption, except one bottle of wine or champagne per adult of drinking age (no larger than 750 ml) per voyage, which will not be subject to a corkage fee if consumed in the stateroom. Additional wine or champagne bottles are welcome, but will incur a $15 corkage fee each, irrespective of where they are intended to be consumed. Liquor, spirits or beers are not permitted. Please remember that luggage will be scanned and alcohol outside of our policy will be removed and discarded.*
Alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free on board in the Shops of Princess, or at ports of call, will be collected for safekeeping and delivered to the guest's stateroom on the last day of the cruise. A member of the ship's staff will be at the gangway to assist guests with the storage of their shoreside alcoholic purchases while the Shops of Princess staff will assist guests with shipboard alcoholic purchases.
*Princess Cruises is not responsible for any alcoholic beverages removed and discarded by shoreside security staff. Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement. Guests found with prohibited items, including alcohol outside of the policy, may need to collect their luggage at a security checkpoint on board.
We strongly recommend you hand-carry all valuables and breakables, including jewelry, electronics and cameras as well as any medications. Please read the Passage Contract for limitations and responsibilities for lost items and baggage.
FAQ: Cruise Answer Place
- Prepare for Your Cruise
- Before You Leave
- What to Pack for a Cruise
- Travel & Transportation
- Shore Excursions
- Alaska Cruisetours
- Asia Cruisetours
- Australia Cruisetours
- Canada & New England Cruisetours
- Europe Cruisetours
- South America Cruisetours
Discover Your Next Destination
Search our range of itineraries to find one that's right for you.
Find a Cruise