When you think of wineries outside of Europe, there's a good chance you think about Napa Valley. But Napa's not the only place to taste amazing wine. Today, many parts of California, Oregon, Washington, and Canada boast outstanding vineyards. If you're looking to explore some of the renowned wineries on the west coast, it's time to plan a cruise.
The Wine Regions
When you plan a cruise along the Pacific coast, you'll be able to learn and taste on the water as well as on land. Onboard Wine Country Coastal cruises, you'll have the opportunity to taste wines and participate in activities tailored to wine enthusiasts. Maitre D's, who are themselves oenophiles, will be available to explain more about the wines and help you pick your favorites — a step that will aid in deciding which wineries you should visit when you dock. Take time to experience different wines anywhere you stop:
- Santa Barbara is home to masterful vintners and beautiful vistas. Enjoy wine tastings in Santa Ynez Valley and experiences such as picnicking in the vineyards.
- From the port of San Francisco, you can visit two world-renowned wine regions: Napa and Sonoma. Or stay in San Francisco to learn about the city's wine history and taste the local fare.
- If you spend some time in the Oregon city of Astoria, you can take a drive to Willamette Valley and explore the wineries famous for their pinot noir, or take a trip to The Cellar on 10th, a wine shop which specializes in Pacific Northwest wines.
- From the cruise port in Seattle, you can visit Woodinville, which has over 117 tasting rooms and wineries for you to enjoy.
- In Victoria, BC, you can take a trip to the Butchart Gardens, then enjoy delicious wine paired with tapas and chocolates at the Blue Poppy Restaurant.
- From Vancouver, BC, you can head to Fraser Valley, which is home to almost 30 vineyards and around 15 wineries.
Along with onboard tastings, another remarkable feature of going on a wine cruise is getting to know fellow wine lovers. Interacting with your fellow travelers on a wine cruise can lead to lively and enlightening discussions about your common interests that will further enrich your travel experience.