A Man's Guide to Navigating Romantic Milestones
By Alex Michel
Romantic milestones are supposed to be fun and romantic. So why are they often such a source of stress? For guys, navigating romantic milestones like birthdays, anniversaries and Valentine's Day can feel like navigating a minefield. My friend Tim says, "It seems like women have a secret recipe for how they want guys to celebrate these romantic milestones, but they never tell us what that recipe is." My friend Rob puts it this way, "I get nervous every time my wife and I have something to celebrate. I try to do Valentine's Day and anniversaries right, but somehow she always ends up disappointed."
But it doesn't have to be this way. Women don't want these romantic occasions to strike fear in the hearts of the men in their lives! They just want to know that they are special to us. We men just need to keep a few ideas in mind to make sure these romantic milestones are successful and stress-free:
- Be thoughtful. The way you celebrate a romantic milestone should be as specific and personal as possible. Show her that you understand and value the things that make her unique. Do something that shows you've been listening carefully--she'll often give you clues!
- Plan ahead. Women appreciate knowing that you put some effort into your planning. They want to know that the romantic milestone is as important to you as it is to them. Show her you care and show her that you were thinking about her in advance of the big day, not just at the last minute on your way home from work.
- Surprise her. The best romantic moments are often the ones that she wasn't anticipating. Weaving romantic moments into daily life is the best way to make sure the woman in your life feels special--not just on your anniversary, but all the time.
- Create memories. Commemorate the romantic milestones and romantic moments in your life. Take pictures, grab souvenirs on romantic trips, and reminisce together about romantic moments you've shared. The memories will remind her that you love her.
- Department of Romance Home
- Trista & Ryan Sutter
- Gavin MacLeod
- Lisa Light
- Alex Michel
- Dr. Ruth Westheimer
- Phil Roberts