Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article –04/14/2011
Vacation on the beautiful isle of Cephalonia, Greece
European Cruise Destinations
The islands off the coast of Greece include some of the more popular destinations in the Mediterranean, and you'll be able to explore them on your European cruise. The island of Cephalonia, which is the largest in the Ionian chain, is the perfect port for enjoying sand, sun and stunning natural scenery.
No matter how you choose to spend your day, you won't want to miss a trip to Lake Melissani, which is located within a cavern. This beautiful body of water is absolutely breathtaking, but it's also the site of some significant archaeological finds from the Minoan people, including figurines of ancient gods and goddesses.
Another point of interest on the island is St. Andrew's Monastery, which was built in the 16th century. After Cephalonia was rocked by an earthquake in 1953, St. Andrew's was the only building to miraculously survive.
A day on this island is also the perfect time to indulge in some local spirits. Visit the Rombola Winery for a chance to sample the delicious local white wine known as the "Nectar of the Immortals."
You'll also have the chance to visit the villages of Fiskardo and Sami, which offer quaint shops, cafes and restaurants. These picturesque towns are a great way to compliment a day at the beach.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
- 50 Essential Experiences Blog
- Inspired to Cruise Blog
- Linked by the Sea Blog
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles