Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-04-11
Hiroshima, Japan, is an unforgettable experience
World Cruise Destinations
You'll be visiting some of the most famous cities on Earth during your world cruise, but one of the most memorable experiences will undoubtedly be a trip to Hiroshima, Japan - a stop that's not to be missed for any fan of history.
The city of Hiroshima is most widely-known as the site where the first atomic bomb was dropped in 1945, precipitating the end of World War II. Today, Hiroshima serves as a somber memorial to one of the most trying times in human history.
The Peace Memorial, at the center of the city, stands as a tribute to all those who lost their lives in the blast. You'll be able to learn all about the events leading up to the dropping of the bomb, as well as the aftermath that occurred after the war was over. Nearby, view the "Atomic Bomb Dome," a building which miraculously survived the blast despite being close to the epicenter.
There's also plenty to see in Hiroshima besides World War II-related memorials. Head to Shukkeiken Gardens, which were originally commissioned in 1620 by a feudal lord. This collection of serene ponds, streams and vegetation will put any traveler at ease.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles