Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-04-04
Tunisia offers a unique take on history
European Cruise Destinations
If you're booking a European cruise, you might assume that you'd be sticking solely to European countries. However, some of the routes offered actually make a stop in Tunisia, located on the northern coast of Africa. You definitely won't want to miss out on the chance to explore this gorgeous country with its own unique history and culture.
Your ship will stop in La Goulette, which is a good entry point for exploring the nearby capital city of Tunis. On the outskirts of town, you'll have the opportunity to view the ruins of the ancient city of Carthage. This once-massive city plays a major role in several tales both mythological and historic in nature.
Continue into the city proper to visit Medina, which is the city's old quarter. Many European cities have their own section of town that has been perfectly preserved, but the culture surrounding Tunis' old city center is unique. Be sure to pop in to one of the many colorful shops, known as souks, for a souvenir. Afterwards, you can enjoy more modern shopping and dining along the Avenue Habib Bourguiba, the most famous street in the entire country.
If you're a World War II buff, be sure not to miss the North Africa American Cemetery and Memorial, where you can learn all about the campaign that took place during the war.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles