Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-04-01
See the cliff divers of La Quebrada in Acapulco, Mexico
Panama Canal Cruise Destinations
There's lots to do in Acapulco, Mexico, but one of the more unique Panama Canal shore excursions available happens here - seeing the famous cliff divers of La Quebrada.
Acapulco's gorgeous seaside cliffs would have likely garnered it some renown around the world in the first place, but what really put the destination on the map were the diving daredevils who began jumping off of them into the water below. Once a loose organization of locals from the nearby fishing village of La Quebrada, these "clavedistas" (Spanish for cliff diver) now put on daily performances more akin to a professional group. Watching these athletes time their jumps with the waves below is certainly a sight that won't be soon forgotten, and you'll walk away with an enormous respect for these amazing performers.
Yet while the cliff divers may be what Acapulco is famous for, they're by no means the only attraction. If you're of the adventurous mindset, you won't be able to jump off the cliffs yourself - but you can get your kicks on a thrilling Papagayo River Rafting excursion.
Finally, history buffs should head for Fort San Diego. Not only did this building once serve as an important defensive fortification, but it also now houses the city's Museo Historico de Acapulco, which contains many artifacts from the region's long history.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles