Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-03-31
Art, food and more in Bilbao, Spain
European Cruise Destinations
If you're an art lover, be sure to book one of the European shore excursions in the port of Bilbao, Spain, as this relatively small city offers a chance to view some truly amazing artwork.
Bilbao was never one of the more famous cities in Spain, until it became the site of the Guggenheim Museum. This modern art complex hosts thousands of pieces, all on display for you to browse through. It's easy to spend all day in the museum, which some would probably even classify as a work of art in and of itself. The wavy edifice was designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry. The sides of the building, made to resemble fish scales, pay homage to Bilbao's status as a marine-based city.
Art connoisseurs aren't the only ones who will be taken by Bilbao, as the food here is out-of-this-world as well. Foodies should be sure to pay a visit to the nearby seaside town of San Sebastian, as it offers a number of Basque restaurants that have been awarded Michelin stars, the highest honor in the culinary industry.
Of course, those who don't want to leave the city or spend all day in a museum will have plenty to do as well. Simply walking around Bilbao's Old Town can be a real treat, as the medieval quarter is situated right on the shores of the beautiful Nervion River.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles