Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article –03/30/2011
So much to see in Astoria, Oregon
World Cruise Destinations
One of the great things about a world cruise is that you'll be able to visit many places that aren't normally considered vacation destinations - including a few lesser-known spots located within the United States.
When one thinks of must-see vacation destinations, Astoria, Oregon, may not immediately jump to mind, but that's exactly what makes this well-kept secret so rewarding for travelers who do decide to visit the town. Astoria has a long and rich history, as it is officially recognized as the oldest settlement west of the Rockies.
If you're a history buff, then the site of Fort Clatsop is definitely one that shouldn't be missed. It was here that 33 members of the famous Lewis and Clark Expedition set up camp in 1805. The modern incarnation has been rebuilt in order to replicate the encampment as it might have been back in the day, so you'll be able to see everything that the explorers did when they first came to Astoria.
Yet Astoria offers so much more than history. The location of the town is very close to the famous Mt. St. Helens, and you'll be able to view this magnificent volcano from the safety of a nearby mountainside observatory.
And if you'd rather just relax, there are more low-key options as well. For example, take a tour of three local "brew pubs," where you'll be able to sample a variety of ale and even enjoy a meal in the comfort of a pub setting.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
- 50 Essential Experiences Blog
- Inspired to Cruise Blog
- Linked by the Sea Blog
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles