Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-03-29
Experience nature's power in Hilo, Hawaii
Hawaii/Tahiti Cruise Destinations
Hilo may not be the most famous port of call that you will visit during a Hawaiian cruise, but it does provide you with the perfect opportunity to see a sight that many associate with the island chain - volcanoes.
Of all the possible ports in Hawaii, Hilo provides the easiest access to the world-famous Volcanoes National Park, which has been designated an UNESCO World Heritage Site. Explore Crater Rim Drive for amazing access to some of the best vantage points in the entire state. You'll be able to see sulfur banks, lava beds and even peer into some of these massive volcanoes. There's also an option to tour this park via helicopter for an experience that truly won't be forgotten.
Volcanoes are one example of the natural beauty present in this part of the island, but it's far from the only one. A trip to Rainbow Falls will allow you to see one of the world's most beautiful waterfalls in action. You'll even get the chance to see lava tubes, which are old tunnels that lava once flowed through.
If adventure is what you're craving, there are plenty of options as well. Whether it's kayaking through Hilo Bay or hiking to the summit of Mauna Kea, this region of Hawaii provides opportunities for all travelers to engage in fun activities.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles