Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article –03/24/2011
The island of Sardinia offers a full day of fun
European Cruise Destinations
When many people think about a European cruise, the first thoughts are of famous cities and timeless landmarks. While these are obviously an important part of the vacation, many of the ports that aren't located on the mainland are just as exciting and memorable.
The island of Sardinia off the coast of Italy is a prime example. You'll start your journey in Alghero, the island's main port. This city has a lot of history, as it was a point of contention for the medieval countries of Spain and Italy. As such, it is one of the only places on Earth that mixes Italian traditions with Catalan influence.
Head to the city's "old town" area to view the Church of San Francesco, one of the more popular landmarks on the entire island. This Gothic cathedral was built in the 14th century and is definitely worth a stop for anyone interested in architecture.
Outside of Alghero, the coast of Sardinia is famous for its many underwater caves. Perhaps the most visited is Neptune's Grotto, an absolutely gorgeous cave the features hundreds of stalactites reflecting in the murky water.
If you want to explore a different type of Sardinian city, be sure to head to Bosa, which is located just south of Alghero. Here you'll be able to sample delicious wine and olive oil that makes the short trip from the main harbor well worth it.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
- 50 Essential Experiences Blog
- Inspired to Cruise Blog
- Linked by the Sea Blog
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles