Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-03-17
Mykonos and Delos offer two distinct experiences in the Greek isles
European Cruise Destinations
Mykonos is perhaps the most famous of all the Greek islands, as it became renowned throughout the 60s and 70s as an international travel destination for the rich and famous. Yet while Mykonos offers fun in the sun, the neighboring island of Delos caters to those interested in learning more about Greek history.
You'll have a number of options for European shore excursions if your ship stops at these two islands. Simply staying on Mykonos and exploring the beautiful beaches and picturesque villages is worthy of a full day's trip. Be sure to head to Little Venice, a row of houses that sits directly on the sea. You'll also want to bring your camera to capture the windmills and intricate churches that dot the landscape. It's easy to see why swarms of vacationers have come here over the years.
On the other hand, Delos is mostly uninhabited, though equally beautiful. Legend has it that the Greek gods Apollo and Artemis were born on the island. Your tour will take you to the Sanctuary of Apollo and the famous Lion's Walk. It's also worth visiting the Delos museum, where many of the artifacts and statues found on the island have been preserved indoors to protect them from the elements.
Of course, you actually don't have to choose - it's possible to combine both islands into a daylong excursion as well.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles