Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article –03/07/2011
Learn about Alaska's Russian heritage in Sitka
Alaskan Cruise Destinations
There are a number of beautiful and interesting stops included on every Alaskan cruise, but those lucky enough to be stopping in Sitka should be sure to take advantage of the opportunity to explore a truly unique town.
According to Frommer's, Sitka is the town in Alaska with the most history, as it preserves the traditions of the old Russian Alaska before it was sold to the U.S. in 1867. Many cities and towns in the state trace their history back to this point, but Sitka is one of the few remaining locations that remembers and honors their Russian heritage.
You'll get a first-hand glimpse of this if you select an excursion package that includes a tour of the city. Your knowledgeable guide will take you to some of the key locations from Sitka's past, such as Glimpse Castle Hill and the Bishop's House, both prime examples of colonial-era Russian architecture.
Another point of interest is the Sheldon Jackson Museum, which was actually founded in 1887. That means travelers will not only get a detailed look at Alaska's U.S. history, but also its extensive time as a Russian colony and home to Tlingit natives.
Finally, your shore excursion will provide an opportunity to explore a Russian Orthodox cathedral, as well as take in a performance by a modern dance group that specializes in Russian and Ukranian choreography.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
- 50 Essential Experiences Blog
- Inspired to Cruise Blog
- Linked by the Sea Blog
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles