Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-02-21
More than just the Leaning Tower in Pisa, Italy
European Cruise Destinations
Travelers on a European cruise will have a chance to view some of the most historic and beautiful structures in the world when they head to Florence, Italy.
While the city of Florence offers travelers a long list of sights to see, some may wish to book a brief excursion outside the city. That's because the nearby town of Pisa is home to the world-famous Leaning Tower. A brief trip will also give travelers a glimpse of the beautiful Italian countryside, which is dotted with small cottages and farms.
Once in Pisa, travelers will have a chance to explore the "Field of Miracles," which is home to both the Leaning Tower and the Duomo. Travelers can actually ascend the tower for a small additional fee. The Duomo is worth a look as well, as it boasts an interior nearly as magnificent as its exterior. Of course, you could just stay on the ground and search for a tasty gelato shop instead.
Built in 1173 and leaning ever since, the Leaning Tower has been deemed a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is one of the most immediately recognizable structures on Earth. It's a great spot for a photo opportunity, but travelers who book via an excursion to the popular attraction can learn more about the tower's history and how it has revolutionized the town on their guided tour.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles