Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-02-01
Lumberjacks and totem poles in Ketchikan, Alaska
An Alaskan cruise is all about exploration, and travelers who are lucky enough to stop off in Ketchikan, Alaska, will have a chance to catch a unique glimpse into a variety of alternate cultures.
A trip to Totem Bight Park is in order for any traveler interested in learning about the history of the native people who called this area home. Visitors will learn all about the Tlingit and Haida cultures as they view beautiful and intricately-carved totem poles. The poles aren't the only sight to see here, however, as the park also offers guests an opportunity to view a native dance and explore replicas of clan houses.
Travelers might get a culture shock of a different kind when they visit the Great Alaskan Lumberjack Show. Named one of the "Top 10 Things to do in Alaska" by the Travel Channel, these talented athletes put on multiple shows per day that display their unique skills and talents. Lumberjacks compete in activities like log rolling, axe throwing, chopping and even climbing a 50-foot tree. All the while, travelers will be regaled with stories of actual lumberjacks and learn more about the culture that surrounds this profession.
Perhaps the best part about Ketchikan is that travelers don't have to choose between these two cultures - they're conveniently packaged together for those interested in both.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles