Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article –01/28/2011
Chill out in Christchurch
Cruises are a great time to "chill out," but those who take an Australia/New Zealand cruise will have a chance to chill in a much more literal way.
The picturesque city of Christchurch in New Zealand offers a wealth of opportunities for exploration and fun. Yet one of the most interesting experiences one can engage in is to pay a visit to the International Antarctic Centre (IAC).
According to the New Zealand Herald, the IAC is rated as the top Antarctic attraction in the world - though it likely doesn't have too much competition, as the experience here is entirely unique.
The IAC functions as somewhat of a museum for the entire continent, with exhibits tracing the history of explorers and scientists who have braved the conditions to get there. Travelers might not have a chance to the penguins found at the South Pole, but they will have a chance to interact with New Zealand's brand of baby blue penguins, which are officially the smallest penguins in the world and unofficially the cutest.
Those brave enough can step into an area that simulates the actual temperatures one feels in the Arctic - equipped with a special polar jacket, of course. Still, travelers likely won't want to spend too much time in this room, as the simulation reportedly gets down to below zero degrees Fahrenheit.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
- 50 Essential Experiences Blog
- Inspired to Cruise Blog
- Linked by the Sea Blog
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles