Princess Cruises News Center
Cruising Article – 2011-01-27
Strike gold in Skagway, Alaska
Looking for a golden addition to your Alaskan cruise? Than be sure to disembark in Skagway - a charming town that transports visitors back to the days of the Yukon gold rush.
Travelers who visit Skagway will certainly be getting a unique experience. Frommer's claims that Skagway "may be the best-preserved gold-rush town in the United States." And the famous guide may just be right.
That's because the National Park Service has taken special care to ensure that Skagway remains around for all to enjoy. The government agency has bought 15 of the town's historic buildings and restored them so that they appear as they did during the height of the gold rush. Travelers can head down the "Broadway" area to see a visual representation of what life was like for budding prospectors way back when.
Of course, travelers on a cruise have a few special opportunities as well. Kids might enjoy learning how to pan for gold or visiting the nearby gold fields. Or perhaps the entire family would like to try out a real dogsled ride.
There are also short excursions to the nearby Klondike Summit, as well as expeditions out into the Yukon to see what real gold seekers faced when they came here all those years ago.
- News Center
- Fast Facts
- Press Releases
- Notices & Advisories
- Backgrounders & Fact Sheets
- Godmothers of Princess Ships
- Press Photos
- Awards & Accolades
- For Investors
- Cruise Planning: Travel Articles & Information
- Media Contacts
- 50 Essential Experiences Blog
- Inspired to Cruise Blog
- Linked by the Sea Blog
Search the News
More Cruise Travel Articles
- Cruise Tips and Information
- Alaska Cruise & Cruisetour Articles
- Asia, India, and Africa Cruise Articles
- Canada & New England Cruise Articles
- Caribbean Cruise Articles
- Europe/Mediterranean Cruise Articles
- Mexico Cruise Articles
- New Zealand & Australia Cruise Articles
- Panama Canal Cruise Articles
- South American Cruise Articles
- South Pacific, Tahiti & Hawaii Cruise Articles
- World Cruise Articles