Founded by miners consumed with the “gold fever” that swept Alaska at the turn of the century, Fairbanks is the gateway to Alaska's rugged interior. No place in Alaska is a better blend of frontier culture and present day adventure than the “Golden Heart City,” renowned for its historical and modern gold industries.
Fall under the spell of Klondike gold or head up river on a Sternwheeler to get a taste of the area’s rich history on optional Alaska land excursions designed to introduce you to this welcoming region. Then return to your comfortable hotel accommodations to share stories of the day’s adventures, perhaps while dining on authentic Alaskan cuisine.
This is where the romance of Alaska begins — the Alaska of the Northern Lights and the magic of the Midnight Sun.
Princess guests who visit Fairbanks will stay at the Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge or one of a select group of fine hotels, carefully chosen by Princess for their reputations for outstanding service and amenities. Each hotel is centrally located and convenient to tourist attractions, such as the Gold Dredge 8, the Riverboat Discovery and Pioneer Park, as well as Fairbanks International Airport.
Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge
The Fairbanks Princess Riverside Lodge is located on the banks of the Chena River. Enjoy gourmet cuisine at Edgewater Restaurant and spirits and light fare at Trackers Bar and Grill. Rejuvenate in the health club's steam bath and then relax on the terraced deck that extends out to the water's edge.
Land Excursions in Fairbanks, Alaska
Get a taste of Fairbank's frontier past on a Sternwheeler riverboat cruise, visit a historic gold mine or join an authentic Alaskan salmon bake and musical revue. The Arctic Circle and the Yukon River are also just a short flight away.
Click below to view excursions that interest you most.
Activities & Adventures
Arctic Circle Air Adventure – Now's your chance to take off on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure and explore the Arctic Circle by air. From Fairbanks, you'll fly north over gold-mining fields, the Trans-Alaska Pipeline, and the magnificent Brooks Range before landing in the Arctic Circle where you'll receive an Arctic Circle Adventure Certificate.
Midnight Sun Dinner & Float Trip – Enjoy dinner at a log cabin restaurant and then a gentle river raft float trip on the picturesque Chena River under the ''Midnight Sun'' on this memorable tour.
Journey Above the Arctic Circle – Fly across the Arctic Circle and land on the banks of the Yukon River. Visit Fort Yukon, an area so remote, it's only reachable by air nine months of the year. Then tour a native village and learn about the Athebascan unique and rustic way of life.
Gold Dredge 8 – Bring the family for a fun-filled adventure aboard the Tanana Valley Railroad and ride into gold mining history. Once the train arrives at the camp, you will receive a brief but informative course in mining, and then you will try panning for yourself! You will find gold, we guarantee it!
Chena Hot Springs & Ice Museum – Enjoy an icy-hot visit to The Chena Hot Springs Resort's Ice Museum and geothermal hot springs, the world's largest year-'round ice attraction. You'll be mesmerized by the ever-changing ice chandeliers and sculptures. Relax at the Ice Bar, have a scrumptious dinner and take a dip in the hot springs.
Alaska Salmon Bake & Palace Theatre – Indulge in a scrumptious meal of King salmon, slow-roasted beef, beer-battered cod and all-you-can-eat baked beans, rolls, dessert, coffee, tea and lemonade. After dinner stroll over to the Palace Theatre for a special rendition of Fairbanks' history and folklore through original songs and light-hearted stories.
Sightseeing & City Tours
The Riverboat Discovery Cruise – Take a journey back in time aboard the sternwheeler Riverboat Discovery for an excursion into the Alaskan wilderness. Travel along the Chena and Tanana rivers and watch a fish wheel in action. Then dock for a tour of a Chena Indian village and meet an Iditarod winner's sled dog team.
Riverboat Discovery Cruise & Gold Dredge 8 Combo – The ultimate Fairbanks combination tour! Journey back in time aboard the sternwheeler Riverboat Discovery for a cruise along the Chena and Tanana rivers followed by a fun-filled adventure aboard the Tanana Valley Railroad as you ride into gold mining history.
Alaskan Hummer Tour – Journey into the Alaskan wilderness aboard a chauffer driven military-issued Hummer. Visit a remote section of the Alaskan pipeline and Creamer's Field, a migratory waterfowl refuge. Enjoy a complimentary snack along with views of Mt. McKinley and the occasional wolf, moose or falcon.
How to Book Alaska Land Excursions in Alaska
Pre-reserving a Princess Cruises optional land excursion is simple and by doing so, you’ll ensure your spot on the tours that interest you most. Plus we take care of all the details so you get the most out of your Alaska cruisetour.
Pre-Reserving an Alaska land excursion
- Review your Alaska cruisetour itinerary in the Cruise Personalizer®. Included is a list of land excursion options that are customized to best fit your itinerary with detailed information about each excursion. You may browse through these options or create a personalized brochure of your excursion options to save, print and/or review at your leisure.
- When you are ready to pre-reserve your land excursions, have your booking number and credit card information ready to enter. A credit card must be registered for each passenger that wishes to participate on a land excursion. Although a credit card is required to reserve your excursion(s), you may pre-reserve all of your land excursions with no deposit required. An auto-charge of all pre-reserved excursions will take place two days prior to your first land excursion booking. Confirmed pre-reserved excursions can be viewed at any time in your detailed itinerary in the Cruise Personalizer.
- The Cruise Personalizer will remain open until your cruisetour departure date so you may add or cancel tours prior to the cancellation deadline without penalty. Excursions cancelled once the auto-charge has been processed are subject to a 100% penalty. Note that excursion availability is based on cruisetour date, capacity limitations, and suitable weather conditions. Excursions are subject to change at any time and available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Guests are encouraged to book early as space is limited and flightseeing tours in particular may not be available for pre-reserving right up to tour departure date. Prior to travel, print your Travel Summary which will have a listing of all of your pre-reserved land excursions. You will also receive information on confirmed excursions in your Welcome Envelope upon arrival at each location.
Why choose a Princess Land Excursion in Alaska?
Variety – A wide range of customized tours geared for all interests and activity levels, from less than an hour to all day immersions, so you can get the most out of your cruisetour.
Availability – You can pre-reserve your tours through the Cruise Personalizer® to ensure your spot on the most popular tours.
Expertise - Each tour is led by experts, often residents of Alaska, who truly know the Great Land.
Convenience - Princess organizes your tour so your time is maximized and worry-free.
Peace of mind - All tours are carefully selected by Princess to ensure your safety
- Alaska Cruise
- Alaska Cruises
- Alaska Cruisetours
- Why Take an Alaska Cruise Vacation?
- Ports & Excursions
- Alaska Cruise Ships
Search our range of itineraries to find one that's right for you.
Experience AlaskaWatch Video (05:47)
Alaska LodgesWatch Video (04:00)
The Heart of Alaska
New! Go NorthWatch Video (02:07)
- On board an Alaska Cruise Vacation
- Alaska Cruises: National Parks
- Alaska Cruisetours: Princess Wilderness Lodges
- Alaska Rail Service
- Extending Your Alaska Cruise
- Land Excursions